Our hair is a crucial part of our personality. It adds elegance and beauty to our outlook. Hence, it is also very essential that our hair stays healthy, smooth and rich. Bad hair growth, roughness, split-ends, etc result in poor hair health and thinner hair volume. This issue is very prevalent among women since they prefer voluminous and rich hair. Improper care and ignorant nature often lead to severe hair-related problems, however, if they’re pampered aptly, you will notice splendid outcomes.
One of those problematic issues is Hair Fall. It is quite common among women and old people. Excessive hair fall affects your lifestyle immensely, along with your hair health, your mental health is also extremely affected. It reduces your self-confidence, makes you worrisome and conscious (although you should be confident about your appearance!). Nonetheless, appropriate care and responsibility can help shrink such arduous problems, and you wouldn’t have to feel conscious ever again!
Also read: How to control negative thoughtsSource: Google.com
Causes of Hair fall
- If you’re combing your wet hair, then discontinue this practice. Detangling and excessive pulling your wet hair strands can weaken your roots and cause hair fall. You should comb your hair before washing them to avoid entanglement or untwist the strands softly with your fingers while showering, you can do it after applying the conditioner.
- People with thyroid problems face extreme hair fall. Thyroid glands play a very essential role in controlling various operations of our body. It is situated at the lower front part of the neck.
These glands secrete thyroid hormones. They enhance the metabolism and support the development and maintenance of hair growth on the scalp as well as the skin. When the number of thyroid hormones are imbalanced in our body (hypothyroidism – insufficient amount of thyroid hormones, hyperthyroidism – excessive amount of thyroid hormones), the hair growth is also greatly damaged. It results in bald patches of hair loss in discrete areas. If you are facing such issues then it is highly likely that you face enormous amounts of hair loss. Therefore, consult a doctor to get rid of such issues.
- Hair fall due to Poly-cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). It is a common disorder among women. It generates hormonal imbalances which lead to irregular periods, disproportionate facial hair growth, acne, fertility problems, and fragile hair. It causes abundant hair loss and reduced hair growth at the scalp. However, it can be treated by proper medications and treatments.
- Various skin diseases and scalp allergies contribute to severe hair fall. Fungal infections like ringworm cause several bald patches on your skin. Therefore, It is very crucial that you take intensive care of your scalp in order to avert hair loss.
- Do not use excessive hair styling products. They damage your hair thereby causing split-ends, roughness, and strand breakage. Hair coloring, bleach, straightening or curling, etc make your hair dry and dim. Your hair loses its shine and becomes fragile, leading to hair fall.
- Poor diet intake can also result in weak hair health. Ingesting good food not only benefits the hair but also benefits your whole body. You should intake a considerable amount of nutrients and minerals to enhance hair growth and reduce hair fall. Drink lots of water. Water is the ultimate key here. Proper hydration keeps your hair healthy, smooth, voluminous and bright.
- Intaking birth control pills can contribute to extreme hair loss. These pills inhibit ovulation and cause hormonal imbalance leading to severe hair loss. Especially for women with a genetic history of hair loss, these pills can immensely harm your hair roots and prolonged usage can lead to thinner hair volume, fragile strands, and excessive hair fall.
- Hair fall during pregnancy is one of the most imperative concerns among women. This happens due of hormonal imbalance and lack of vitamins and minerals inside the body. Critical hair loss occurs mostly after pregnancy because of hormonal disruption but it is temporary.
- Sometimes people experience hair loss due to extreme stress and anxiety. Hair health depends on both physical as well as mental health. Mental instability and stress cause hair fall and thinner hair volume. You may not notice it instantly but your body suffers along with your brain and so does your hair. It is crucial that you take care of your mental health, stay positive, and don’t overstress yourself in order to obtain healthy, rich hair.
- Washing your hair with hot water also results in hair loss. It strips your scalp of the essential oils, increases the dandruff build-up, and makes your strands dry and brittle, thereby making them prone to hair breakage. You should consider washing your hair with lukewarm or cool water.
Also read: how to deal with repression in communicationSource: Google.com
Tips On Controlling Hair Fall
- Shampoo your hair every alternate day during summers and two times a week during winters. Shampooing provides the much-needed nourishment your scalp needs and intensively cleanses your hair. Cleanliness is the first and foremost step towards better hair health. Do not let the oil and excess sweat stay in your hair for too long. Not cleaning your scalp for longer than 3-4 days can lead to dandruff build-up and various scalp diseases. Therefore, keep your scalp clean at all costs.
- Oiling is another very essential part of hair care. Treating your scalp and hair with the necessary oils leads to smooth and healthy locks. Oils provide moisture and the required nutrition to your scalp and hair. Oiling once a week will do wonders to your hair.
- Conditioning your hair right after shampooing is very important because it polishes your strands by making them silkier and smoother. It helps in repairing damaged, rough, dry, and dull hair. Conditioning your hair is like an icing on the cake, so never skip your conditioner.
- Consuming healthy diet and exercising largely contributes to Hair health. Intaking the essential nutrients and minerals benefit the roots of your hair, it promotes more hair growth, nourishes internally, and keeps the scalp healthy. Exercising daily and drinking 10-12 glasses of water, helps fight anxiety and stress as well. Trim your alcohol intake and avoid smoking.
- Avoid using too many chemicals like hair colour and bleach on your scalp. They damage your hair, cause skin diseases and promote hair fall. Furthermore, they inhibit hair growth and make them rougher.
- Treating your hair and scalp with hair masks/packs once a week is also a crucial step when it comes to hair caring. Using this once a week instead of a conditioner helps restore the hair damage, provides the essential oils, and makes your hair smooth and shiny. It is suggested that you practice this consistently.
Home Remedies To Prevent Hair Fall
Coconut Oil With Curry Leaves
Applying coconut oil on the scalp boosts moisture. It gets rid of brittleness and dryness and restores the necessary proteins required by your hair. Curry leaves improve the blood circulation on the scalp while simultaneously promoting hair regrowth. Thus, mixing it with coconut oil will act as an amazing remedy to stop hair loss.
Curry leaves are stuffed with nutrients essential for hair growth, regular consumption of these leaves can also prevent hair loss.
Procedure: Take around 200 ml of organic coconut oil and cook it with 7-8 curry leaves on low flame. After a few minutes, as soon as the colour of the oil changes, turn off the flame, and store the oil in a jar. Practice this remedy at least 2 times a week.
Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
Amla is an excellent fruit that favors hair health. Along with consuming it (which you should because it is loaded with vitamins and minerals that not only benefit your hair but it also benefits your body), you can also apply it on your scalp to prevent hair loss. Amla is a great source of Vitamin C and antioxidants which promote hair growth and prevents breakage.
Procedure: Take 2 tbsp of fresh amla juice and apply it on your scalp, leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash it off with a shampoo and follow up with a conditioner. Practice this remedy twice a week.
You can also add 2 tbsp of lemon juice (also rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants) to amla juice to obtain maximum results.
They are commonly known as Methi in Indian kitchen culture; it enhances hair regrowth on the scalp and provides nourishment to your hair and scalp. Using it as a remedy will not only prevent hair loss but it would also repair damaged and dull hair strands.
Procedure: Soak about 1/2 a cup of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and grind it into a paste. Apply this hair mask and leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash it away with a gentle shampoo or cleanser.
Overnight soaked fenugreek seeds can also be mixed with curd instead of water and leave it on for 15 minutes. Depending upon your requirements, you can choose either of the two remedies. You can practice this remedy once a week.
It is very popular for its cooling and healing effects. Applying pure aloe vera on your scalp reduces scalp inflammations, dandruff and itching. It is an extremely powerful remedy to prevent hair loss and strand breakage.
Procedure: Take an aloe vera leaf, extract its aloe content by peeling off its surface. Apply the fresh extract directly on your scalp as well as hair. Leave it on for around 45 minutes and wash your hair with cool water. Follow this remedy once a week.
It possesses antibacterial properties that cure many scalp infections and prevents dandruff. It regulates the blood circulation on your scalp leading to hair regrowth. Treating it to your scalp and hair can prove to be exceedingly profitable in terms of preventing hair fall.
Procedure: Take an onion, grate it properly and squeeze out the juice. Apply it directly on your scalp and hair and leave it on for around 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with a gently shampoo or hair cleanser. Continue this practice weekly for outstanding results. (This remedy is my favourite!)
Yogurt And Honey
There are uncountable benefits that yogurt provides to our overall health, including the scalp and hair. It is known to improve hair follicle health, conditioning the hair by making them smooth and shiny, and preventing hair fall. You should consider consuming it as a part of your meals as well. Honey provides the required nourishment to the scalp and hair, it also generates hair regrowth, and hence, it helps to prevent hair loss and breakage.
Procedure: Take 2 tbsp of yogurt and mix it with 1 tbsp of honey and lemon, or a bowl of yogurt and apply it on your scalp and hair. Let it work for around 20-25 minutes and wash it off with a gentle cleanser. Avoid using a conditioner after cleansing. You should practice this remedy once a week with consistency.
They nourish the scalp, get rid of dandruff, strengthen and restores the natural glow of the hair, and prevents hair fall. Eggs also promote hair regrowth as it enhances the hair follicle health and keeps the scalp moisturized. (P. S. It stinks!)
Procedure: Break one whole egg in a container and whisk it properly. Apply the paste on your scalp and hair and leave it on for half an hour. Wash it off with a fragrant shampoo and follow up with a conditioner.
It is popularly known as Mulethi in the Indian kitchen culture. It helps cure loads of diseases and problems including cancer risk and diabetes. It inhibits dandruff build-up, aids scalp infections and itching, and promotes hair growth which makes it a good element for the prevention of hair fall.
Procedure: Soak a few licorice roots in milk overnight and apply the pack on the scalp as well as hair. leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning with a mild shampoo. Repeat this practice twice a week.
It stimulates hair growth and prevents hair fall. It also helps to aid many scalp infections and diseases. It is very beneficial not only for hair but also for your body. You should consider drinking it daily, preferably in the morning but you can also consume it during night time (Go to sleep right after having it in the night).
Procedure: Soak 2 bags of green tea in 2 cups of hot water and let it cool. As soon as it cools down, apply it on your hair and scalp by gently massaging with your fingers. Leave it on for around an hour and wash it off with cool water.
It contains the necessary nutrients like Vitamin B6 and C, folate, potassium, and magnesium which promote hair health and hence, it is very beneficial when it comes to getting rid of hair fall. It also strengthens and cleanses the scalp thoroughly. Beetroot leaves are considered very healthy so you can also consume them daily as a part of your healthy diet.
Procedure: Take 6-7 beetroot leaves, boil it in water and strain. apply the paste on your scalp and hair, and leave it on for 30-40 minutes. Wash it off with cool water. Repeat this process twice a week.
You can also grind 5-6 henna leaves along with boiled 6-7 beetroot leaves and apply the mask. Leave it om for 20 minutes and rinse it off with cool water. You can practice either of the two remedies.
Castor Oil and Olive Oil
The scalp needs the essential oils for nourishment and healthy hair. Castor oil and Olive oil are stuffed with the required nutrition for a healthy scalp and hair. They repair the damaged hair, prevent dandruff, and moisturizes the scalp deeply. They promote hair regrowth and strong strands.
Procedure: Mix both the oils properly in a bowl. Apply the mixture by massaging the scalp gently and thoroughly for 10 minutes. Leave it on overnight and rinse it off the next morning with a mild shampoo. Repeat it twice a week.Source: Google.com
These were some of the natural remedies you can practice at home. They are chemical-free so they won’t harm your scalp or hair. Moreover, some of these cure scalp and hair-related infections and diseases. I would suggest that you rather practice these remedies instead of applying chemical-based hair masks or treating your scalp with harsh products.
Hair defines our personality and outlook and hence it is very important that we pamper them in the right way. These remedies not only cure hair fall but they prove to be effective in aiding dandruff, split ends, dry and dull hair, etc. Always remember that everything takes time. You shouldn’t be too hasty while practicing these remedies, be patient and consistent and you will see the outcomes in no time!
Have you ever tried any of the above mentioned remedies? If yes, how was your experience? Share your stories with us in the comment section below!